10 ways to up your glam from local hair and makeup artist Maddi Robbins.
Updated: Dec 31, 2020
Maddi Robbins is a hair and makeup artist in Stephenville who works her magic at Evolutions Salon on Lingleville Road.
The 25-year-old grew up in Stephenville and graduated from SHS in 2013.
Her love of all things home kept her in Stephenville and today she has a booming career helping women look and feel their very best.
“I have always enjoyed hair and makeup, so I decided to spend my career doing it,” Maddi told me last week as I sat in her chair for a touchup.
Maddi is my go-to when I need an extra shot of glam. In fact, she did my hair and makeup recently for my niece’s wedding.
Maddi stays booked with weddings, photo shoots and other special events and her popularity makes it hard to get an appointment, so plan ahead.
UP YOUR HOLIDAY GLAM WITH THESE TIPS
“The first thing I think about when it comes to holiday glam is a red lip,” Maddi said. “It complements every outfit and really brings attention to your face - and it makes your teeth look really white.”
But don’t get too dark. Maddi says to stick with cherry red – something Christmasy.
And if you go with a red lip, tame down the eyeshadow, keep it neutral or don’t use any at all.
Here are 10 more pro tips:
1. Eyelashes: If you struggle with putting on eyelashes like I do, Maddi says to use magnetic ones because they are easier to apply.
2. Go vintage with eyeliner: Keep the line thin and use a matte rather than glossy. “Put eyeliner on the top only and lightly swipe the bottom lashes with mascara to create an old Hollywood glam look.”
3. Don’t be afraid to glow: When it comes to cheeks, use a blush with a shimmer (Maddi’s favorites include MAC extra dimension blush in Hard to Get for $30 or Milani baked blush in Luminoso for $9.49). And when using a shimmery blush, skip the highlighter.
4. Matte foundation this time of year can be drying for some skin types so add moisturizer into your routine before applying makeup.
5. If red lipstick is a no-go for you, try using a mauve/pink to brighten the face. Matte or gloss will work.
6. Use a setting spray to help your makeup stay put and not transfer to your clothes.
7. Beach waves are out. Soft, romantic curls are what’s in for holiday parties.
8. For a fun, funky look, add hair extensions with tinsel. You can find them online.
9. When it comes to color, Maddi says to not shy away from blonde if that’s your thing. “You don’t have to go dark in the winter,” she said. “Stay true to yourself and what you like.”
10. Updo: “You can buy hair bun shaper sets on Amazon and it really helps with styling. All you have to do is curl your hair and pin it into the bun.”
To book an appointment with Maddi, call 254-918-0925.
Find her on Instagram at Maddiirobb.