Look hot as a Texas summer with these beauty tips from local hair and makeup artist Maddi Robbins.
Updated: Oct 25, 2021
With a change in season comes a change in the way we care for ourselves.
Summer heat and additional exposure to sunlight means we must readjust are hair and skin care routines to avoid damage that we will pay mightily for down the road. (Believe me, I know.)
Maddi Robbins, a local hair and makeup artist in Stephenville, is my go-to for glam. During a recent, lengthy and much-needed overhaul to my hair at Evolutions, Maddi shared her top tips for looking as hot as a Texas summer.
10 WAYS TO LOOK YOUR BEST
1. SPF BLUSH AND CONTOUR STICKS: “These are my absolute new favorite things,” Maddi told Beneath the Surface News. “Find ones on the market that match your skin tone and pocketbook and use them.”
2. JERGENS NATURAL GLOW: I grew up using Jergens body lotion, so I was a little surprised when Maddi told me this is another one of her favorites. “The Jergens Natural Glow is so nice, and it evens out the skin tone,” she said.
3. SEA SALT SPRAY FOR HAIR: We all love the look of scrunchy, beachy hair this time of year, and sea salt spray is the secret weapon to getting the look you want.
Maddi says the TIGI texturizing salt spray is her top pick, but for a more affordable version you can buy at a drugstore, pick up a bottle of Not your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray.
4. SKINCARE: Unless you want to look like a piece of beef jerky when you get old, protecting your face and neck from sun damage should be your No. 1 priority. Maddi’s top pick? Ultra Repair Cream by First Aid Beauty.
5. SELF-TANNING DROPS: Who knew that a few drops of self-tanning oil could pack such a powerful punch? Add a couple of drops to your moisturizers and lotions to give your skin a healthy sun-kissed glow.
Maddi’s fave? Isle of Paradise Self-Tanning Drops. You can find it for $29 at Sephora.
6. SETTING SPRAY: Don’t sweat the small stuff this summer, and whatever you do, don’t sweat off your makeup. Keep your face in place with a cool spritz of setting spray after your makeup routine.
7. GO FOR GOLD: Nothing looks more gorgeous on a tanned face than a hint of gold eyeshadow and highlighter. “I love a bronzy eye this time of year. It’s just beautiful,” Maddi said.
Don’t be afraid to try it.
8. BANDANAS: I’m not going to lie, this was a hard one for me to hear, but Maddi says to accessorize your hair with a bandana.
“What?!” she asked when I scrunched my nose. “Bandanas in the hair are super in right now. I love it! You can wear it as a headband or use it to accessorize your ponytail.”
(I’m still not convinced, but that’s why she is the expert and I’m not. I’m holding out for the banana clip to make a comeback.)
9. GET OILY HAIR (ON PURPOSE): Sun, salt and chlorine can wreak havoc on your locks. Keep your hair shiny and smooth with a little hair oil. You can add it to wet or dry hair for a little extra sleekness.
10. GLOSS THOSE LIPS: I’m a lip gloss addict and some of my favorites have come from Maddi, which is why I am super excited to try her new favorite.
“Glosses and lipsticks by Pat McGrath are my new favorites, especially the nudes and pinks,” she said.
For a less expensive look, Maddi suggests the shades of Madison Beer by Morphe.
And if you want to book an appointment with Maddi, give her a call at 254-918-0925 or find her on Instagram @Maddiirobb.